Creating WINKS Bar Charts
You can create WINKS bar charts using three methods – from frequencies, summary counts or by entering data via keyboard.:
Create a simple bar chart from frequencies – WINKS counts items in categories and creates a bar chart.
Open the data set named EXAMPLE.SDA
- Select Graphs/Charts – Charts - Simple Bar Charts (from frequencies)
- Select SOCIO – Add – OK and the following chart appears:
To edit this chart, right click anywhere outside the chart, or select Edit – Options. the following menu appears:
Note the tabs at the top of this dialog box. To make changes, select an appropriate tab and choose options. For example
- Click Color Options and click the “Bar Color” button and select purple
- Click on the Bar Chart Options tab and select Horizontal and Show Counts
- Click on the Font tab and select Times Roman and 16, Bold Italic – Click Ok then click the “Make all fonts above same as title”
- Click Labels/OK tab and click OK. The following chart appears:
Create a grouped bar chart from frequencies
WINKS counts items in categories and groups and creates a bar chart.
Open the data set named EXAMPLE.SDA
- Select Graphs/Charts – Charts - Grouped Bar Charts (from frequencies)
- Select SOCIO as the Data Field and GROUP as the Group field, Click Ok and the following chart appears
(Note the Chi-Square statistical test results in the title. You can edit this out of the title if needed.)
To edit this chart, right click anywhere outside the chart, or select Edit – Options. the options dialog box appears (as shown above)
To make changes, select an appropriate tab and choose options. For example
On the Labels/Ok tab select Left for Legend Position
- Click on the Colors tab and select Pastels (or you can select specific colors for each item)
- Click on the Bar Charts tab and select Stacked
- Click on the Labels/Ok tab and click Ok to show the following chart
To highlight item 5 as purple, open the options menu, select color, select category 5 from the drop down menu, and click Bar Color and select purple.
- Click on Bar Options and select Horizontal.
- Click on Color options and select Red for the Fore Color
- Click on Image, Click Browse and select MistyForest.BMP as the image and click the show background Image checkbox.
- Click on Labels/OK and Ok to display this version of the chart.
To create a stacked bar chart,
- In the options dialog box, take off the image by clicking on the Image tab and uncheck the image option.
- In the Bar Chart tab, select stacked and horizontal. Also click show numbers.
- In the Color tab, select black as the fore color for text. Also click the Bright button. Choose Labels/OK and Ok to display this chart.
Try other options – there are thousands of ways to change the graph to meet your needs.
Create a bar chart from counts
If your counts are in a data set, you can create a bar chart using this method:
Open the data set named BARCHART.SDA
- Select Graphs - Chart – Simple Bar Chart (from summarized data)
- Select VAR1 and VAR2 as data fields, and Label as the label field. The following chart is displayed. Use the same editing options illustrated for Chart from frequencies to customize this chart.
Create a bar chart by entered data from keyboard (no data set)
To create a bar chart or pie chart by entering data, select Graph – Pie & Bar Charts – enter data from keyboard. The following dialog box is displayed:
Enter number in the Label and Values field, click on Pie Chart or Bar Chart to display the chart. Edit the chart as illustrated in previous examples.